Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Posted by Picasa
Hot in the City

Ok, so it's obvious that Southern Ontario is generally hotter than Newfoundland in the throes of the summer. Southern Ontario is inland and close to large bodies of water which can retain a lot of heat and produce a lot of himidity, which can increase the feel of the weather, almost increasing the temperature at times by 8 or 10 degrees. Newfoundland is smack right out in the Atlantic ocean which changes less drastically in temperature from season to season as compared to a lake. So basically the ocean is going to act as a cooler more than a heat retainer. So with that aside I would like to point out the above average temperatures for Ontario. There, now I can complain. These are record breaking temperatures. Records dating back through hundreds of years of meteorological data. I can officially complain about the heat. The only reason Newfoundland isn't seeing record highs is because it has the ocean as a big ol buffer zone. Yet again, what is my point in pointing this out? Well I suppose I am appending this to my previous entry. I don't want to sound like some sort of end is nigh nutjob though, because I feel there is plenty of time left before we totally mess up the ecology of the earth...we just have to take that time to look at our actions...sooner....now. I mean heck, when Kyoto was made official it got one day of coverage in the media and that was that. We need to make being environmentally friendly cool. We need to make some bad ass hummer bikes. There are some pretty bad ass bikes out there already. So there's a solid infrastructure of commuting and production and consumption already there... we just have to step back and assess it.

P.S. By the way, I'm from Newfoundland...just in case anyone was curious as to why I was making the connection.

No comments: